Dermal fillers can lift, reshape and smooth. Results are instant, and they are one of our most popular treatments in The Glow Clinic.
With age, volume is lost from the face, resulting in sagging skin and sometimes a gaunt appearance. Although botox, or wrinkle-relaxing injections can improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles that occur due to movement, restoring volume is an important step in refreshing the facial appearance. Hollowed out under eye areas and deep nasolabial lines will not usually be improved by relaxing the muscles in these areas (with botox), so we must incorporate additional tools.
For the most part, the dermal fillers we use are made of hyaluronic acid – something that is naturally part of your body. Hyaluronic acid (HA) is resorbed by your body, so fillers are not a permanent treatment. Depending on the product used and where it is placed, fillers can last anywhere from 6-12 months, and occasionally longer.
Dermal fillers are useful in restoring volume and shape to lips, forehead, cheeks and cheekbones. Nose reshaping is also possible, as is jawline contouring. Correctly placed product does not look false or fake, it simply restores what has been lost and enhances you.
Hyaluronic acid fillers can be used to lift the skin and reclaim the youthful shape of the face. Lifting the jawline, smoothing nasolabial folds and refreshing the eye area can all be incorporated in a liquid lift.
As volume is lost from the face, skin begins to sag downwards, resulting in a tired, unhappy appearance. Hyaluronic acid fillers can be used to lift the skin and reclaim the youthful shape of the face. Lifting the jawline, smoothing nasolabial folds and refreshing the eye area can all be incorporated in a liquid lift.
Lip shape and size is an important aspect of facial balance. Proportion is vital for a beautiful lip shape that ensures you always look your best.
Facial shaping and balance
Subtle adjustments to the nose, jawline, forehead or chin can bring balance to facial proportions and improve symmetry and harmony in the face. Cheek and temple augmentation also play a role in many cases.
Brightening tired eyes
Hyaluronic acid fillers can be used to disguise under eye bags and refresh the entire area around the eyes and brows.
- What are dermal fillers? Dermal fillers are most commonly made from hyaluronic acid that has been linked together using product called BDDE. The way in which the molecules of hyaluronic acid are linked together can change how thick or flowable the product is, and how long it lasts for.
- Will fillers make me look weird? No, not if placed correctly! We have all seen the spectacularly odd looking results of poor filler treatment in the media, although some of those may also have had the help of surgery. When the correct amount of the right product is expertly placed, results will look completely natural, and even those closest to you may not realise that you have had anything done – only that you look fresh and full of life.
- Are dermal filler treatments sore? Occasionally described as slightly uncomfortable, dermal fillers contain anaesthetic within the product, and both topical and local anaesthetics are used in more sensitive areas, so it is not something to be afraid of. The areas treated may be a little tender following treatment, similar to how you might feel after a vaccine, or having a drip in your hand.
- Is there downtime after treatment? With any injection, there is a risk of bruising, and there can be some swelling after filler treatment, in certain areas. A two to four week window is advised for very big events, but it is extremely unusual to be unable to attend work or regular social events.
- When can I see results? Filler results are visible immediately, although there can be a little bit of swelling, so the effects are best assessed two to four weeks following treatment.
- How long does treatment last? Depending on the type of product used, and how much is placed where, dermal filler can last anywhere from 3 months to 18 months, and in some cases even longer. Many patients achieve more natural and longer lasting results with regular maintenance.