Commonly known as Botox, or anti-wrinkle injections. Expertly administered muscle relaxing injections can help smooth fine lines and wrinkles, slim areas of the face and give a refreshed, lifted and youthful look.
Mainly administered in the upper face, these can smooth out the forehead and reduce excessive lines around the eyes, creating a fresh, bright eyed appearance.
Over use of the muscles that are involved in chewing can cause them to become larger, and give a square, or wide appearance to the lower face. This can cause a female face to become quite masculinised, and even make a male face look out of proportion. Sometimes muscle relaxing injections can amend this and allow your face to return to its natural shape.
Lifting the jawline
A Nefertiti neck lift is achieved with a number of muscle relaxing injections to reduce the strength of neck muscles that pull the jawline downward. It can give a subtle lift, creating a sharper definition around the jawline
The muscles around your eyes, and under your eyebrows can be relaxed, to create a more lifted brow and open up the eye area.
Muscle relaxing injections can be used to address a drooping nasal tip, smooth the lines on the side of the nose that tend to present when smiling and frowning, and reduce the flare of the nostril.
Excessive show of gums on smiling can be reduced with muscle relaxing injections. The appearance of the upper lip can be improved with a subtle “lip flip” treatment, along with smoothing “smoker’s lines”, although both of these may require additional treatment with dermal fillers for optimal results. The downward slope of the mouth edges (sometimes called “mouth frown”) can also be subtly softened by relaxing the muscles in this area.
Teeth grinding or clenching (bruxism)
Many people have a habit of clenching or grinding their teeth while they sleep (and sometimes while awake too). Over time, this can lead to worn teeth, broken and fractured teeth, fillings and dental restorations, and facial pain or tension. Specific targeting of the muscles involved with muscle relaxing injections can help relieve these symptoms, and prevent deterioration of teeth and dental restorations, including implants. Up to 4 treatments, spaced 3-4 months apart may be required to improve a long-term habit.
Anti-wrinkle injections can also have an effect on the sweat glands, and can be used to reduce excessive sweating (hyperhydrosis).
- What are muscle relaxing and anti-wrinkle injections? Most commonly known as “botox”, these injections are a prescription only product, and reduce the contraction of muscles in the targeted area. A consultation is required before any treatment can be advised.
- Will botox make me look strange and frozen? Not if administered correctly. Botox relaxes muscles, and if this is done in an unbalanced way, yes, people can wind up looking a bit strange when they express themselves. That is why it is essential to have a full consultation, and allow our injectors to analyse and examine your face properly, before advising on any treatment.
- Does it hurt? No. Very tiny needles are used, and most patients hardly feel the injections. Topical anaesthetic is also available if required.
- Is there down time after treatment? Immediately following anti-wrinkle or muscle relaxing injections, you may have some small red bumps, but these usually settle within minutes, and you are free to go back to work and carry on with your day. You are strongly advised against flying for 72 hours following treatment.
- When do I see results? It can take up to two weeks for results to become visible, although most people notice a difference at about 10 days.
- How long does treatment last? The prescription product in anti-wrinkle and muscle relaxing injections begins to be broken down by your body from as early as 6 weeks. A very strong muscle set may start to recover by 8-10 weeks, but most patients find treatment results last anywhere from 3 to 4 months.